1560-Christians in Arthunkal seek the permission of King of Cochin to put up a church.
Local chieftains thwarted Christian’s plan.
1581-Fr.Gasper Pius, an ltalian Jesuit Priest took charge as the first Vicar of the Roman Catholic Church at Arthunkal. He obtained permission of the King of Cochin to erect a church.
1581-November 30, the first Church dedicated to St. Andrew, an Apostle of Jesus Christ, was put up in wood thatched with coconut fronds.
1583-The Kaimal, local chieftain, attends the feast of St.Andrew. A lot of people embraced Christianity.
1584-Jiacomo Fenicio, an Italian Jesuit Priest took charge over Arthunkal as its Vicar,started a Catechumenate& made Arthunkal in to a nodal place of Missionary activities.
1601-Fr.Fenicio rebuilt the church in stone. He was transferred to Calicut in 1602, In the year, 1619 He came back to Arthunkal again as its Vicar.
1632- Fr.Jiacomo Fenicio, the Apostle of Arthunkal, passed away and was buried in the church built by him. He served as a zealous missionary of Christ in Kerala for 51 years of which 33 years he was in Arthunkal.
1647-The miraculous statue of St. Sebastian was brought in a ship from Italy and was enthroned here in the church.People of all faith from and wide come to Arthunkal seeking St. Sebastian’s intercession.
1829-St.ChavaraKuriakose Elias was ordained priest here in the church on 29th November 1829.
1831-A memorandum to Pope Gregory XVI was sent from Arthunkal signed by 13 clergymen and 201 laymen seeking Pope’s intervention to clear the obstruction in getting admission to the seminary for the boys from the Christian community of the erstwhile kingdom of Muthedath.
1896-Church was renovated with new façade. Construction of bell tower and a new presbytery were completed in 1902.
1898-The first ever community organization in Kerala began at Arthunkal by name Nazrani Bhooshana Samajam under the leadership of Fr. Sebastian Presentation and Fr. Vincent Das Nevis Arattukulam.
1903-St.Francis Assisi School started functioning (Upgraded to High School in 1948 and upgraded to higher secondary school in 1998)
1910-Foundation and basement for the new church constructed, construction completed by the leadership of Fr. Daniel Kurisinkal in 1967.
1948-St.Sebastians Convent for Sisters of the Visitation Congregation established. They started a hospital in 1972 and a Nursing School in 2003.
1952-Diocese of Alleppey was erected bifurcating Diocese of Cochin.
1967-New Church in granite was blessed by Bishop Michael Arattukulam the first Bishop of Alleppey. The statue of St. Sebastian was enthroned in a special alter in the new church.
1984-Industrial Training Centre was established in Memory of the 4th Centenary of the Church (CCM.ITC)
1997- A Training Centre for Children named Yuva Swapna established.
2009- Flag mast in copper, Grotto of St. Sebastian and Church stall were blessed in January.
2012- New Bell was constructed and Blessed on 24th September.
2014- Perpetual Adoration Chapel Blessed on 15th January.
2017-Interior part of the church renovated and new altar constructed and blessed on 8th January by Bishop Stephen Athipozhiyil.
2017- New flag pole made of steel and bronze blessed on 9th January
2018- The Episcopal Ordination of H.E. Rt. Rev. Dr. James Raphael Anaparambil, the fourth Bishop of the diocese of Alleppey took place at Arthunkal Basilica on 11th February 2018.
2019 - Rosary Park established and blessed by H.E. Rt. Rev. Dr. Stephen Athipozhiyil in the presence of H.E. Rt. Rev. Dr. James Anaparambil and H.E. Rt. Rev. Dr.Bp. Bishop Douglas Regattieri, Diocese of Cesena, Italy on 10th January 2019.
PIN: 688 530
Tel: +91 9400152374
+91 478 2573560, 2572374
+91 9744663560 (Rector)